Right of Appeals

Any decision finding you guilty of a municipal violation may be appealed. The appeal goes to the State District Court located in the County Courthouse. Your appeal must be filed in writing within 10 days of the date of the finding against you in Municipal Court.

Appeal a Municipal Court Decision

If you desire to appeal a Municipal Court decision against you, do the following:

  1. After trial, advise the Municipal Judge and Municipal Court Clerk, in open Court that you desire an appeal. The appeal bond will be set by the Municipal Judge.
  2. Post the appeal bond with the Municipal Court Clerk.
  3. File a written notice of appeal with the Municipal Court Clerk (this must be done within 10 days).
  4. Within the same 10 days, a written notice of appeal must be filed with the District Court:
    Court Clerk’s Office at the Canadian County Courthouse
    301 N Choctaw
    El Reno, OK 73036
  5. You will be notified by the District Court when your appeal hearing will be held.
  6. The District Court Clerk will require you to pay court cost if you are found guilty again or fail to appear.
  7. The Municipal Court will not handle the case again until the appeal hearing is completed.
  8. Please be reminded that if you post an appeal bond and notice of appeal but do not pursue your appeal, the bond will be forfeited.
  9. If any of the above is unclear or you have any further questions, please contact the Court Clerk’s Office.